Wheat cake recipe – an easy and delicious recipe of the eggless cake made with whole wheat flour (atta), sweetened condensed milk and butter. It is indeed satisfying and fulfilling to bake cakes and bread for your family. More so when they have an additional health element in them.
The recipe makes for a 6×6 inches whole wheat cake and its a small cake. you can serve this wheat cake plain as a tea time snack or even as a dessert. You can also use this cake as a base in trifle pudding and even frost it with any icing.
Please do note that organic chakki ground whole wheat flour is used in the recipe. It’s the same flour which I use for making chapatis.
How To Make Wheat Cake
PREP TIME:10 MINS
COOK TIME:1 HR
TOTAL TIME:1 HR 10 MINS
(1 CUP = 250 ML)
dry ingredients for the wheat cake
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 120 grams whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
wet ingredients for the wheat cake
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk or 125 ml or 125 grams sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
for butter solution
- 80 grams unsalted butter or about ⅓ cup heaped chilled butter cubes. you can also use salted butter
- ½ cup of water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
making wheat cake batter
- Grease a 6×6 inches square pan with softened butter. You can also use 5 to 6 inches round pan.
- In a sieve, add 1 cup whole wheat flour (120 grams atta) and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Keep the sieve on top of a mixing bowl or pan.
- Sift both the dry ingredients. Also preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.
- Now add 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (125 ml or 125 grams).
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Do not mix. Just keep aside.
- In another pan, take 80 grams butter and 1/2 cup water.
- Add 4 tablespoons sugar.
- Keep the pan on the stovetop and on a low flame heat this mixture.
- The butter will melt initially. Do stir occasionally.
- Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, then remove the pan and pour the entire boiling hot mixture into the flour mixture.
- With a wired whisk, begin to mix lightly.
- Mix with light pressure, so that over mixing does not happen.
- Mix to a smooth batter. If there are small tiny lumps, then let it be. Do not over mix.
- Now pour the cake batter in the greased square pan.
- Gently shake the pan or tap the sides.
baking wheat cake
- preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius/356 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Place the pan in a preheated oven. Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- In my oven, it took about 1 hour to bake. Yes, that long. Oven temperatures are not the same everywhere, so while baking do keep a check.
- Also please do not open the oven door till 3/4th of the cake is done.
- The top should be golden and when you insert a toothpick in the atta cake, it should come out clean.
- Let the wheat cake become warm or cool completely before you serve it.
- In cooler climates, the wheat cake can be kept at room temperature for 1 to 2 days. Do store in a box.
- In warmer or hotter climates, refrigerate the cake. This whole wheat cake stays good for about a week in the fridge.
- If you do not have unsalted butter, you can use salted butter too.
- Substitute for butter is 1/3 cup oil. Can use a neutral-flavoured oil like sunflower oil or even olive oil can be used. Ghee can also be used instead of butter.