New Delhi, India: According to reports, a spark in the heat-up caused a fire in plastic packing material at Pune’s SVS Aqua Technologies factory on Monday, killing at least 17 people, including 15 women. The fire broke out at SVS Aqua Technologies, which manufactures chlorine dioxide and is located in the Pirangut MIDC area of Mulshi tehsil on the outskirts of Pune city, according to reports.
Devendra Potphode, Chief Fire Officer, Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority (PMRDA) told ANI, “The company is deal with water purifying chemicals Chlorine dioxide, which is not fire-prone. It is packed in plastic, and while the packing work was in process, the heat-up sparked. The plastic then immediately caught fire”.
Women packing could not figure out which way to run because the fumes from both plastic and chlorine were too strong, according to Potphode, who also stated that 17 bodies had been recovered from the site, 15 of which were women.
Chlorine dioxide is a chemical compound with a wide range of antimicrobial applications, including the disinfection of drinking water.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences for the deaths in the fire and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakhs each from the PMNRF for the families of the deceased. He also promised the injured Rs 50,000 in compensation.
In a tweet, Prime Minister said, “Pained by the loss of lives due to a fire at a factory in Pune, Maharashtra. Condolences to the bereaved families.”