Maharashtra’s first Zika virus case has been discovered, but officials say there is no need for panic

Mumbai: The first Zika virus infection case in Maharashtra was reported from the Pune district on Saturday, officials said, urging people not to panic.

According to the state health department, the woman patient who was diagnosed with the infection has fully recovered.
“She and her family members have no symptoms,” the company said in a statement.
On Friday, the 50-year-old woman from Belsar village in Purandar tehsil received her test results. According to the report, she was infected with both Zika and Chikungunya.

According to the statement, a government medical team visited the village on Saturday, met with the sarpanch and gramme panchayat members, and instructed them on preventive measures.

The Zika virus spreads through the bite of the Aedes aegypti mosquito, and the majority of patients show no symptoms.

The typical symptoms include fever, body aches, and conjunctivitis, and pregnant women should exercise extra caution, according to the statement.

There was no need to panic, according to state surveillance officer Dr Pradip Awate.

“Zika is a moderate disease, with 80% of patients experiencing no symptoms and the remaining 20% experiencing mild flu-like symptoms. One can recover by drinking plenty of water, resting, and taking a simple paracetamol tablet “He stated.

He went on to say that death from Zika virus infection was unheard of.

Dr. Awate also stated that during the 2019 Zika virus outbreak in Brazil, it was believed that Zika virus infection during pregnancy could cause infants to be born with microcephaly (abnormally small head), but this link has yet to be proven.

“However, we have continued to emphasise the importance of special care for pregnant women,” he added.

Ayush Prasad, Chief Executive Officer of the Pune district, urged residents not to panic. “The case was discovered thanks to the proactive efforts of our field teams. We are working very hard to contain the spread and provide people with the best healthcare possible “He stated.

.

Back to top button
Close
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker