Makkal Neethi Maiam is not contesting in the Lok Sabha Election : Confirms Kamal Haasan

Actor-politician Kamal Haasan on Sunday confirmed that he would not contest in the coming Lok Sabha elections. Releasing the party manifesto and the second list of candidates of his Makkal Needhi Maiam or MNM at a function in Chennai today, Mr Haasan said, “All candidates are my faces. I am proud being the chariot puller than being the chariot”.

The ‘vishwaroopam’ actor came up with a big list of promises that highlighted jobs, equal pay and reservation for women and an astounding 100 per cent profit for farmers.

Makkal Neethi Maiam had released their first list of 21 candidates for the Lok Sabha elections in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry earlier this week. At the time, asked whether he would contest, Kamal Haasan had said, “I wish to contest but my party cadre will have to decide.” He, however, had promised that Sunday’s meeting would contain “surprises”.

Mr. Haasan has elaborated his list of promises, stating that  they will generate 50 lakh jobs and give women 50 per cent reservation in them. He went on to say that woman would get paid as much as men. The other intriguing promise was ensuring that Governors of states get elected by its legislators. Mr Haasan also promised free WiFi, no toll on highways and home delivery of rations of the Public Distribution System.

The party is meant to focus on the fight against corruption and development of rural Tamil Nadu. It was launched one year ago.

The Kamal Haasan led MNM has not tied up with any of the top Tamilian parties, be it All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam or Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam.

He is very open in criticizing the ruling Prime Minister and the NDA government.

“PM Modi is the rich man’s security guard. He doesn’t meet journalists and his biggest achievement is bringing Tamil youth to Twitter for the #GoBackModi campaign,” he said.

Back to top button
Close
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker