The saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” holds true due to the nutritional richness of this delightful fruit, packed with essential vitamins and minerals that boost our immunity. However, many encounter challenges when it comes to storing apples at home. While they maintain freshness in stores, apples often lose their luster within a short span once brought home, even when stored in the refrigerator.
Here are some valuable tips for storing apples in your fridge to extend their freshness:
- Proper Wrapping: When placing apples in the fridge, it’s essential to take precautions. Avoid storing them with the original packaging from the store. Instead, individually wrap each apple with either newspaper or craft paper before refrigeration. This method effectively retains the apple’s freshness for an extended period. Apples stored without wrapping, even in a cold fridge, may become stale more quickly.
- Separate Wrapping: If you’ve purchased apples in bulk, especially during discount sales, maintaining their freshness becomes a significant challenge. To ensure their longevity, wrap each apple separately with paper before storing them in the fridge. Additionally, it’s crucial to maintain the refrigerator’s temperature at around 30-35 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal storage conditions.
- Avoid Plastic Covers: Refrain from storing apples in plastic covers, as this can expedite spoilage.
- Isolate from Other Fruits: It’s a common practice to store various fruits together, but apples should be an exception. Avoid placing apples alongside fruits such as bananas, grapes, or oranges. When stored with citrus fruits like oranges, apples tend to deteriorate faster.
- Sliced Apples: Sliced apples tend to oxidize and turn brown quickly due to enzymatic reactions with oxygen. To effectively store sliced apples, keep them separate from whole apples and other fruits.
By following these tips, you can significantly prolong the freshness of your apples in the refrigerator, ensuring that you enjoy their delicious flavor and health benefits for an extended period.